Friday, June 16, 2017

Continued their climb toward their peak performance (141Cong.Rec.S4683)

I only have myself to blame, as I am the one who forwarded a link about the Montane Spine Challenger to TJ. So I couldn't really be upset when he decided to sign up for the 3-day, 108-mile "adventure." In fact, I barely complained the whole time I accompanied him as crew along the course, which started in Edale, near the start of the Pennine Way (top left). Of course, I possibly was shivering so much in the pre-dawn temperatures that I couldn't even talk as they set off in snowy terrain to navigate the Peak District and beyond (top right). At least the starting line was in chartered territory, as TJ and I had hiked there the winter before (bottom). 
The dog got to sleep in at our B&B while I got TJ on his way (left). When I returned to The Shady Oak Country Inn to pack up and move on to the first checkpoint, I found Sage looking out the window at the hills above Whaley Bridge (right); meanwhile, TJ was crossing over the summit of Kinder Scout. Only the man, not his best friend, knew how many snow-dusted peaks were in our near future.
The next time we saw TJ was at lower, slushier elevations near Torside Reservoir (top left). But soon enough he was back in the high, windy plains surrounding Black Hill (top right). I had to force myself to wait outside for him to arrive at Wessenden Head Reservoir (bottom left). Once the sun and mercury dropped, I stayed in the car, except for one small call of nature, until TJ arrived at the checkpoint (bottom right).
I checked into my next night's accommodations before one last meetup with TJ. Overnight, he slept for a few hours at a no-crew checkpoint at Hebden Hey Scout Centre, while I caught 40 winks at The White Lion. Once again, I let Sage sleep in while I met TJ at the first morning stop. It was a good idea as I found some friends (top left), which might've distracted him from our crew duties at Ponden Reservoir (top right). That afternoon, the dog made plenty of friends, including with a friendly Basset Hound, as we hiked around before TJ descended to Hare & Hounds in Lothersdale (bottom).
I was going to surprise TJ as he passed by The Cross Keys in East Marton, but I didn't make it in time because I had to turn around and double back after a GPS suggested a route on some icy back roads. Even with the delay, I managed to get to our next meeting spot on time. We all napped in Airton (top left), where TJ took a moment to decide whether to continue through the Yorkshire Dales to the finish line. I think he was still having second thoughts when I met him again in Malham, but after some shut-eye at another no-crew stop at Malham Tarn, he was looking much less scraggly as he sauntered in to Pen-y-Ghent Cafe in Horton-in-Ribblesdale (top right). The cafe is named after Pen-y-Ghent, part of the Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge and the last big ascent TJ made before heading to the finish line in Hawes (bottom).
While waiting for TJ to finish the race, I wandered around Hawes. So I would know where to wait for him, I traced the Pennine Way and did a circle back to the town center (left), passing by Wensleydale Creamery. The city is known for its heritage of cheese making. It's also known for being bisected by the River Ure (right), the source of many scenic waterfalls throughout the area.
TJ took a wrong turn on the descent into Hawes, delaying his finish until just after dark (top left). I met him where the trail spilled onto the main street then together we walked the final stretch to Market Hall, where TJ finally was able to get off his feet (top right). Somehow, he managed to stand back up so staff could take photos of him receiving his medal (bottom left) and basking in his success with his essential crew (bottom right).
It was a slow walk down the block to The Fountain Hotel, where TJ enjoyed a victory dinner before a good night's rest. TJ will tell you that he came in second-to-last, placing 62nd with an official time of 58:15:03, just beating the 60-hour cutoff. What he won't tell you is that of the just over 100 people who started the Challenger, 30 dropped out. And what you probably already know is that he hopes to one day complete the longer version of "Britain's most brutal race," the 7-day, 268-mile full Spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment