Sunday, August 2, 2015

An event that revolves around Bastille Day (147Cong.Rec.E1291)

Lest anyone think I am becoming too much of an Anglophile, I recently tried to balance things out with a trip to Borough Market, the oldest market in London, which was hosting a Bastille Festival. I'm not sure there's a chance of me becoming a full-on Francophile, but I can certainly admit that -- besides the near-even race for the best cheese and chips -- the French generally have the upper hand on the British when it comes to cuisine.
The festival was held in honor of Bastille Day, July 14, 1789, when citizens invaded the Paris prison in a show of force against the monarchy, forcing a turning point in the French Revolution. The citizens of London weren't nearly as forceful when they invaded the market's covered gallery to enjoy French entertainment and food.
I didn't even revolt when I waited quite a while for my galette -- a buckwheat crepe, with egg, cured ham, and comté cheese -- from the Suzette food truck. That might've been because I had a glass of sparkling Cidre Bouche from New Forest Cider to occupy myself while I stood in line. (A tablemate during a previous brewery visit had recommended I try the cidery's Kingston Black Reserve, which was on offer, but I opted to go for the French feel instead.)
My calmness and patience was rewarded with a front-row seat to some velvety songs from a French crooner accompanied by a cellist (left). Only after lunch did I stumble on the cookery demonstrations (right). Luckily, I was full, so I didn't feel the need to fight the crowd and rush the stage for the free samples. Truth be told, even without the extra snacks, I did leave the festival feeling a tad Francophilic.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment