Saturday, February 21, 2015

Trying to find new work, going out and pounding the pavement day after day (159Cong.Rec.S8804)

I guess it's time for me to go public: In a little while, I will no longer be an EFM (Eligible Family Member). Oh don't worry, TJ and I didn't divorce. It's just that I recently received an invitation to the Department of State's 181st A-100 class, which means my acronym will soon morph into three different letters: FSO (Foreign Service Officer).

Any FSO can tell you what a relief this is. The process to become employed by the Foreign Service is a long and arduous one. Here's the not-so-short version of mine: After a post-bocce discussion way back in the summer of '11, I signed up to take the free general Foreign Service Officer Test. Despite the little history and government that I gleaned from my "substandard" public schooling, I managed to pass. This meant I was allowed to submit my Personal Narrative responses to another three-letter acronym: the QEP, or Qualifications Evaluation Panel. The panel was so impressed -- or confused -- by my answers that I was invited to the Foreign Service Oral Assessment of this extended tryout in the fall of that same year. Once again, a miracle occurred, and I scraped by with a just-barely-above-board score.

But even after passing all of the tests, my suitability was still up for review. I had to go through medical and security checks. Even with my numerous addresses, including just a few overseas, the Final Review Panel declared me suitable in early 2012. Being declared "suitable" means you are placed on a "register" of acceptable candidates. When the Foreign Service calls up new officers, they invite people from the top of this register; if you are not called within 18 months, you drop off the list completely and must start the entire process all over again.

By virtue of my low "orals" score, I was at the bottom of the list, and therefore I had little hope. So in an act of desperation, I tried to boost my score by proving my Spanish-language skills over the phone. The proof, as they say, was not in the pudding, so I opted to "freeze" my candidacy for 24 months while I followed TJ around to Mexico and Pakistan; this meant my 18-month "diplomatic clock" was not ticking down for those two years.

When we returned to the States for TJ's training in 2014, I had no choice but to restart my clock. But as the little hand was so slowly moving, I was studying Russian. Just in the nick of time, I managed to earn some language bonus points with my Russian-speaking skills, which boosted me toward the top of the candidate list. Not long after, a new class of officers was called up, and I was among them.

So for me, the process to get a job as an FSO took 3-1/2 years (I can't be sure, but this could be some kind of record for a one-time candidacy). And indeed, this process was often challenging and sometimes frustrating. Coincidentally, I also have been an EFM for about 3-1/2 years, and for much of that time I was actively looking for employment. So before I fully make the switch to FSO, I want to give a much-deserved shoutout to my fellow EFMs because their process to find a job is often just as long and arduous.

Here's the not-so-short list of the efforts I went through to try to become employed as I "trailed" my spouse overseas:
  • I took private-sector jobs below my level of expertise in order to not have gaps in my resume.
  • I applied for every job advertised at post to demonstrate my serious interest; each time, I had to fill out the exact same lengthy form, and I was not allowed to simply indicate that no details had changed since my last application. 
  • I waited only a short time to receive a security clearance for my first embassy job (another three letters: CLO, or Community Liaison Officer), mainly because the process had already been initiated after I passed the "orals" (many other EFMs wait months or years to start a job because it takes that long to get a clearance).
  • I hodgepodged together four part-time jobs to give myself full-time work.
  • I took at-post and distance-learning language courses in my "spare time."
  • I woke up at the crack of dawn to consult with my language instructor or to interview for jobs (stupid time zones).
  • I stayed up late at night to consult with a Global Employment Initiative adviser about resume formats and job prospects (stupid time zones).
  • I regularly stalked USAJobs, devexthe PROPs group on LinkedIn, and The Network
  • I attended numerous daylong workshops on employment tools, portable careers, and non-governmental organizations.
  • I attended multiweek functional training classes, such as the Basic Consular Course, otherwise known as ConGen.
  • I established qualifications in six areas of the Expanded Professional Associates Program.
  • I successfully applied for the EFM Consular Adjudicator Pilot Program.
  • I sought a Professional Development Fellowship to pay for classes to earn a certificate that would help expand my career opportunities. 

That's a pretty long list, right? And it might seem like I'm complaining (and I am, but only a little); actually, I am extremely thankful for all the opportunities that the State Department, especially the Family Liaison Office, provides. But it takes a great deal of effort to take advantage of all of these programs. In other words, the process to become employed as an EFM is often as stressful and difficult as -- if not more stressful and difficult than -- the process to become employed as an FSO. And EFMs have to go through this process not just once, but every time their spouses change post! (I know, I know, some FSOs went through the testing process multiple times before they were hired, but that was by their choice.)

Obtaining a job as an EFM is often a job within itself. Therefore, it is no surprise to me when EFMs give up on the process or opt out of post employment altogether. I do not have children to take care of, and I did not give up an extremely high-paying career -- and still, at times, I felt more than daunted and jaded about the possibility of finding employment.

Incidentally, upon reading this post and finding out about my new job, a lot of people probably will congratulate me. And trust me, I will appreciate all those well wishes. But if you really want to spread some joy, congratulate the next EFM you know who gets a job. He or she worked hard for it.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures of finding jobs at the same post as a tandem couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like to hear about your experiences as a new FSO. I am anticipating a summer invite to A-100 after working on and off since 2005 to get an FSO appointment (and improvising employment as an EFM since then).

    ReplyDelete