Monday, August 25, 2014

Runners who embody the marathon spirit (H.Res.1704)

Truth be told, I signed up for my first marathon as motivation to lose weight. Even before marathon training, I was eating as if I were marathon training. I had put on what I call the "home leave 15," similar to the "freshman 15," except the pounds are much harder to lose. I've been trying to remind myself that it is not possible nor wise to try to eat a two years' supply of all the food you know will miss at your next two-year post. But still, there are just some opportunities I can't pass up.

After all, Metropolitan Washington Restaurant Week happens only twice a year. Fewer and fewer restaurants are participating, so it can be difficult to find one worth a reservation. But we were satisfied with our $35.14 dinners at Woodward Table. For his main dish, TJ splurged on the duck confit, which cost a few dollars extra, and we added a side of macaroni and cheese (top). Before my entree of pork belly, I had an heirloom beet salad, and TJ went with traditional fried chicken livers (bottom left). We topped off our meal with a bourbon bread pudding and blueberry pie (bottom right).
Another DC food tradition is Truckeroo, a food-truck fiesta held once a month during summer at Half Street Fairgrounds near Nationals Stadium (top). So far, I have limited myself to one Truckeroo, but unfortunately, that one time I did not limit myself to one snack. For starters, TJ and I shared some larb gai (Laotian minced meat salad) from Sang On Wheels (bottom left). There were really long lines, so it got dark while we digested and waited for tostones and a tripletas sandwich (named for its three types of meat: pork, ham, and skirt steak) from Borinquen Lunch Box (bottom right).
Part of the problem has been the mild weather this year. It just makes you want to go to outside events, where there usually is food on offer. On the way to Truckeroo, for example, we swung by the Friday night concert at downtown Yards Park (left). For once, I exhibited some willpower and walked past a pie food truck. I had less success a few days later, when TJ and I took a stroll through the Arlington County Fair. At a fair, it is mandatory to have fair food, so we split cheese fries and a BBQ brisket sandwich (right). I did manage, however, to pass on riding the Zipper.
At another outdoor festival, I did fall prey to a food truck: burgers from BurGorilla, an aptly named operation to be involved with Brew at the Zoo (left). We didn't see any actual gorillas, but TJ and I did check out some turtles at the National Zoo's Amazonia exhibit before we sampled some beers (right). The standout of the evening -- besides the moment when the Trolley Pub, there to promote its tours, undermined itself by crashing into a food truck -- was the stand with offerings from Adroit Theory Brewing Company.
 
At Brew at the Zoo, I also sampled Samsquanch, an American IPA named after a recurring joke from the Canadian comedy show The Trailer Boys on offer from 3 Stars Brewing Company. Some time later, TJ and I decided to visit the actual brewery, near Takoma Park, DC. After sipping free tastes of all five beers on tap, we settled in with pints of Peppercorn Saison and The Phoenix rye saison, along with a hummus sandwich (they ran out of falafel) from the food truck parked outside. 
After our stop at 3 Stars, we headed to the opening weekend of Denizens Brewing Company, in Silver Spring, Maryland. They were still getting the full brewery up and running, but nonetheless, we enjoyed their two beers on tap -- Southside Rye IPA and Lowest Lord ESB -- on a lovely patio, which happened to be fronted by a crepe food truck that I just had to try, of course. 

Three breweries in one day is one too many, so we saved Bluejacket Brewery for another day (left). The Navy Yard brewery/restaurant has a draft list with nearly two-dozen beers, which rotate often. Plus, lots of the offerings are high ABV, so you're encouraged to get tastes instead of pints (right). I particularly liked the beers that usually end up being too desperate and overdone at other breweries, such as their chili-infused stout, Mexican Radio, and their smoked brown ale, Tinderbox
To round out our DMV beer tour, during DC Beer Week we hit the Virginia Brewers' Bash at Mad Fox Brewing Company, where I had my first pumpkin beer of the season: Pumpkin Hunter from Devil's Backbone Brewing Company. At each place, I finally ordered on track with what should be a runner's diet: a protein-packed charcuterie plate and a well-balanced flatbread pizza. As long as I don't run near any food trucks, I just might be able to stick to better eating habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment