Monday, January 14, 2013

Recent challenges that the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad has had (H.Hrg.111-162)

A lot of you already know this, but we hadn't officially made the announcement because we knew there would be a lot of questions we wouldn't be able to answer. I can't answer all of them now either, but considering that we are leaving Tijuana in less than a month, I guess it's time to say it: TJ's onward assignment is a posting in Islamabad, Pakistan.

Why Pakistan?
So this is the first and most obvious question, but it's also one of the easiest. I don't know why other people join the Foreign Service, but TJ did because he truly has an interest in global relationships -- political, cultural, economic, etc. ad nauseum -- and none are more fascinating and interesting than those that are the most convoluted and complex. We were lucky to view the Mideast conflict from within Israel and the border situation from within Tijuana, and we have learned much. Pakistan follows our pattern of living in important if volatile regions of the world (please refer to Zero Dark Thirty). Indeed, if any of our destinations is not like the other, it would be non-militarized Costa Rica. Sure, Pakistan doesn't have tropical beaches and rainforest ziplines, but it is exactly the type of adventure we appreciate. But in case you need some other perks: the pay is high, it's only a year, we'll get to do two R&Rs, and it will win TJ some clout for a nicer post afterward.

Are you going with him?
Up until a few days ago, I couldn't answer this, which was making planning for our packout next week rather difficult. But last week, I was offered and accepted a position as English Language Instructor; the embassy wants to start an instructional program for its local staff, and I will be she who plans and implements said program. If I had not gotten a job, I would not have been allowed to go with TJ. Spouses or partners without jobs and children are not allowed at any of the AIP (Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan) posts, so these assignments are definitely hardships for many families. I feel very lucky that I will not have to go through the extended separation that I have seen others bravely endure. It's quite possible that TJ and I will be apart for a while because my visa might not come through in enough time for me to accompany him, but if anything, it will be weeks or months, not a year.

What about Sage?
This is still unanswered. We are allowed to take our dog, but we are still waffling on whether it would be selfish on our part to do so, especially because we are fortunate enough to have family members who would be happy to take him in for a year. The biggest factors, of course, are transportation and housing. Not surprisingly, it's not easy to get a dog into southern Asia. Obviously, it's going to be expensive, but right now, we're just trying to determine if it's even feasible, especially in terms of minimizing stress for Sage in transit. Housing is a problem because although permanent quarters allow pets, the temporary ones do not. So if we are placed in temporary housing (another question we don't know the answer to yet), we will have to find a family to take him in for a while. Usually, families with dogs already are the ones willing to take in a colleague's pet, which isn't ideal considering Sage's recent proclivities toward canine crankiness. This past weekend, however, we went on a camping trip in which he got along fine with a fellow furry traveler, so we have some considerin' to do. 

Aren't you scared?
Well, yeah, but no more scared than some other trips we've taken, which incidentally were without the support of a military deployment. We won't live on a compound, but there is a huge contingent of soldiers assigned to the safety of embassy employees (please do not refer to Argo or recent incidents in Libya). To be honest, as a person who has witnessed loss and tragedy, both foreign and domestic, I am a little ambivalent about perceived threats to security. I'm sure someone smart has done the calculation that people are at greater risk of dying if they live in Islamabad, but it's still a probability, and like most of life, one in which I can't change the odds. Last week, my doctor told me that 1 in 70 women over the age of 50 will get breast cancer. As far as ratios I cannot control go, that one scares me a lot more. That being said, I plan to follow the rules and maintain a heightened sense of awareness. Nothing would shame me more than to die of a stupid decision on my part.

And the decision to go to Pakistan is not a stupid one, I swear. TJ and I generally can find the good in any given situation and almost always can provide what the other needs when things go south. And in those moments we can't make each other happy, we are surrounded by family and friends who sustain us. And so, family and friends who sadly cannot come visit us in Islamabad: Hopefully, you will be knocking down the door to come see us at our next post. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Tim and Kim...I know people who worked in Islamabad and enjoyed the experience. The tough posts are supposed to be tough but what you learn there usually transfers to other situations and places. I believe that for one of your R&R's you should come to Bangkok and I'll cook a big BBQ for you guys. Sage is welcome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say we hadn't considered that until you offered, but I would be lying. We would love to see you guys and to eat some of your famous wings!

    ReplyDelete